Business & General Aviation
SpeedNews has been the source for easy-to-read news and information for executives in the commercial, business, and military aviation industries since 1979. Here you will find the latest industry news along with information on SpeedNews newsletters and aviation industry events.
All News Commercial Aviation Military Aviation Business & General Aviation
- 10/15/2014 - EMBRAER delivered 34 aircraft (19 E-Jets; 15 Phenoms) in 3Q14 vs 44 (19 E-Jets; 21 Phenoms; four Legacy 650s) in 3Q13, and 126 (62 E-Jets/64 Executive Jets) in Jan-Sept vs 124 (58 E-Jets/66 Executive Jets) a year ago. It now has backlog of 476 E-Jets.
- 10/14/2014 - GULFSTREAM AEROSPACE introduced new clean-sheet PW800-powered G500 and G600 business jet family for entry into service in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
- 9/29/2014 - ESTERLINE CORPORATION agreed to acquire the aerospace/defense display business of Belgium-based BARCO for €150m.
- 9/12/2014 - BOMBARDIER received EASA type certification for Learjet 70 and Learjet 75.
- 8/21/2014 - GRAHAM PARTNERS acquired majority stake in Southern California-based DESSER TIRE & RUBBER and its affiliated companies, AERO WHEEL & BRAKE SERVICE and CEE BAILEY'S AIRCRAFT PLASTICS.
- 8/19/2014 - STANDEX INTERNATIONAL agreed to acquire Ohio-based ENGINETICS, which produces engine components through a variety of forming processes.
- 8/13/2014 - Southern California-based SURF AIR ordered 15 PC-12NGs, and optioned 50, for its membership airline under partnership with PILATUS to be exclusive membership-based operator of PC-12NGs in US.
- 7/31/2014 - GAMA reports manufacturers delivered 592 general aviation aircraft (281 pistons; 147 turboprops; 64 jets) worth $5.7b in 2Q14 vs 587 (293 pistons; 140 turboprops; 154 jets) worth $5.7b in 2Q13.
- 7/30/2014 - AIRBUS GROUP recorded €696m net income on €14.55b revenues in 2Q14 vs €531m on €13.58b in 2Q13. AIRBUS earned €811m on €10.49b vs €632m on €9.34b a year ago, and still expects 2014 delivery totals to be about the same as 2013 (626).
- 7/23/2014 - BOMBARDIER reorganized its Aerospace business unit into three segments to include BUSINESS AIRCRAFT (led by Eric Martel), COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT (led by Mike Arcamone) and AEROSTRUCTURES AND ENGINEERING SERVICES (TBA), and announced the retirement of Aerospace President/COO Guy Hachey.
- 7/23/2014 - BOEING had $1.65b net income on $22.05b revenues in 2Q14 vs $1.09b on $21.82b in 2Q13. COMMERCIAL AIRPLANES earned $1.55b on $14.3b vs $1.45b on $13.6b, and has record $377b backlog.
- 7/18/2014 - GE AVIATION earned $1.2b on $6.1b revenues in 2Q14 vs $1.07b on $5.3b in 2Q13.
- 7/17/2014 - From Farnborough:
AIRBUS wrapped up the Farnborough Airshow with firm order commitments for 496 aircraft worth US$75.3b, including orders announced late Wednesday/early Thursday from TRANSAERO for eight A330ceos and 12 A330neos, AIR MAURITIUS for four A350s and HKAC for 70 A320neos. More
BOEING ended the Farnborough Airshow with firm order commitments for 201 aircraft worth US$40.2b, including orders announced late Wednesday/early Thursday from AIR ALGERIE for two 737NGs, QATAR AIRWAYS for 50 777-9Xs (previously announced) and four 777Fs, MG AVIATION for two 787s and HAINAN AIRLINES for 50 737 MAX-8s. More
GE AVIATION booked orders, commitments, and long-term service agreements worth US$36b at the Farnborough Airshow for a total of >1,100 engines, including $21.4b (1,062 engines) for CFM INTERNATIONAL.
EMBRAER delivered 58 aircraft (29 E-Jets/29 Executive Jets) in 2Q14 vs 51 (22 E-Jets/29 Executive Jets) in 2Q13. It delivered 92 in 1H14 vs 80 in 1H13.
GKN AEROSPACE is leading consortium of UK companies in 3.5-year, GBP13.4m Horizon (AM) program to develop additive manufacturing capability; program is backed by UK AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE (ATI).
SATAIR was appointed by Ducommun as exclusive global distributor for certain GE90 and CFM56 cable assemblies.
TES AVIATION GROUP named Karl Gibson as Chief Operating Officer, Allen Jones as Chief Strategy Officer, and Russell Jones as Director of Asset Management.
- 7/16/2014 - From Farnborough:
AIRASIA X signed MOU to order 50 Trent 7000-powered A330-900neos for delivery starting in 2018.
AIR MANDALAY ordered six MRJ90s, and optioned four, for delivery starting in 2018 to join its fleet of three ATRs. MITSUBISHI AIRCRAFT has now secured commitments for 325 MRJs.
PRATT & WHITNEY was selected by Philippine Airlines to supply PurePower engines for 10 A320neos.
FIRTH RIXSON has 10-year, $200m Snecma contract to supply closed die forged and seamless ring rotating components for the LEAP.
UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS was selected by Cathay Pacific to supply wheels and carbon brakes for 48 Airbus A350-900s/1000s out of Troy, OH.
HISPANO-SUIZA was selected by Rolls-Royce to supply accessory drive train and oil tank for Trent XWB-97.
GKN AEROSPACE opened new Advanced Composites Structures facility in Alabama to focus on work for Airbus, Bell Helicopter and Honda Aircraft.
ROCKWELL COLLINS is building new 70,000 sq ft R&D center in Reading, UK to focus on satellite navigation, networking and other government systems.
AJW AVIATION has 5-year Air Serbia contract to provide power-by-the-hour component support for seven A319s and two A320s.
SR TECHNICS named Christina Johansson as Chief Financial Officer.
- 7/15/2014 - From Farnborough:
AIR LEASE CORPORATION ordered six more 777-300ERs and 20 more 737 MAX-8s, increasing its order total with BOEING to 245 aircraft: 75 737-800s (22 delivered), 104 MAXs, 21 777-300ERs (two delivered), 15 787-9s and 30 787-10s.
CIT AEROSPACE ordered 10 more 787-9s, and now has 20 787s on order: 16 -9s and four -8s.
INTREPID AVIATION placed its first direct order with BOEING for six 777-300ERs in deal that includes four options.
CIT AEROSPACE agreed to order 15 A330-900neos for delivery starting in 2018 and five A321ceos for delivery starting in 2015.
AVOLON agreed to order 15 A330neos.
SMBC AVIATION CAPITAL ordered 110 A320neos and five A320ceos, and has now ordered 206 A320 Family aircraft. AIRBUS says it is largest ever single firm order by leasing company for a single-aisle aircraft, and it has now booked >3,000 A320neo orders.
BOC AVIATION ordered seven A320neo Family aircraft and 36 A320ceo aircraft (eight with V2500s). It now has 116 A320 Family aircraft on order.
LOONG AIR, China ordered 11 CFM56-powered A320s to join its fleet of five.
EMBRAER has LOI from AZUL to order 30 E195-E2s and take purchase rights on 20 more; it also identified FUJI DREAM (three E175s/three options) and AZAL (two E190s) for previously undisclosed orders.
AIR LEASE CORPORATION ordered seven more ATR 72-600s, and has now ordered 28.
ALASKA AIR GROUP ordered a 52nd Q400 for HORIZON AIR and signed 5-year heavy maintenance contract with BOMBARDIER to support fleet out of Tucson, AZ.
ROLLS-ROYCE made first run of 97,000 lb thrust Trent XWB-97 for A350-1000; flight testing is slated to start in 2016.
BOMBARDIER AEROSPACE launched a Q400NG Combi that can simultaneously carry 50 passengers and 8,200 lb cargo.
GE AVIATION plans to build $50m, 300,000 sq ft additive manufacturing facility in Auburn, AL to begin producing precision, super-alloy machined parts for jet engines in 2015.
LUFTHANSA TECHNIK secured SAS contract to perform 150 737/A320 C-Checks through 2018, primarily at SHANNON AEROSPACE and LUFTHANSA TECHNIK SOFIA.
AFI KLM E&M has Virgin Atlantic contract to provide 787-9 component support.
DOWTY PROPELLERS has SpiceJet contract to provide propeller maintenance/support for 15 Q400s.
FIRTH RIXSON has $1b UTC contract to supply PurePower engine components for PRATT & WHITNEY and 787/A320 landing gear components for UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS.
AIRCELLE was selected to supply the nacelles for Trent 7000-powered A330neo.
ROCKWELL COLLINS was selected by BAE Systems to supply the Flight Control Module (FCM) for the Boeing 777X Integrated Flight Control Electronics (IFCE) fly-by-wire (FBW) system.
BOEING unveiled 777X cabin features that will include a 6,000 ft cabin altitude, larger windows, and increased width to accommodate 18-inch-wide seats.
- 7/14/2014 - From Farnborough:
AIRBUS unconditionally launched the Trent 7000-powered A330neo with increased wing span (+3.7 meters to 64 meters) to provide 14% better fuel burn per seat; it is offering 252-seat A330neo-800 and 310-seat A330neo-900 for delivery starting in 4Q17.
ALC ordered 60 more A321neos (engines TBA) and agreed to order 25 A330neo-900s for delivery starting in 2018; it says, at $275m for -900, the A330neo has a "compelling price difference" compared to any other widebody.
AVOLON agreed to order six 787-9s and five more (now 20) 737 MAXs.
UK-based MONARCH AIRLINES agreed to order 30 189-pax 737 MAX-8s for delivery starting in 2018 to replace its narrowbody fleet of 10 A320s and 27 A321s as part of its transition from charter airline to LCC.
BOMBARDIER secured CSeries agreements from LOONG AIR, China for 20 CS100s, and from PETRA AIRLINES, Jordan for two CS100s, plus options for two CS300s. It also identified AIRBALTIC and previously undisclosed customer for three CS300s (it now has 13 on order) and finalized order for two CS300s with FALCON AVIATION SERVICES, UAE.
TRANS STATES HOLDINGS ordered 50 E175-E2s for operation by TRANS STATES, COMPASS, and/or GOJET starting in June 2020, and optioned 50.
China's OKAY AIRLINES ordered six 737 MAX-8s and four 737-800s, and converted existing order for five 737-800s to -900ERs (now eight on order).
NORDIC AVIATION CAPITAL ordered 25 ATR 42-600s for delivery in 2015-2020, and optioned 50. ATR has booked 144 orders in 2014.
IAG ordered 20 more A320neos for operation by BRITISH AIRWAYS; it previously ordered 120 for VUELING.
Miami-based EASTERN AIR LINES agreed to order 20 MRJ90s for delivery starting in 2019, and took purchase rights on 20 more.
AERCAP ordered 50 more A320neo Family aircraft (engines TBA), and has now ordered 200.
CFM INTERNATIONAL booked about $4b in new engine orders from EASYJET for LEAP-1As for 100 A320neos and CFM56-5Bs for 35 A320ceos, and from SPRING AIRLINES for CFM56-5Bs for 30 A320ceos.
EMBRAER forecasts delivery of 6,250 new 70- to 130-seat jet aircraft worth $300b over next 20 years.
GE AVIATION secured 12-year, $13b OnPoint solution contract from Emirates to support GE9Xs for 150 777Xs.
PRATT & WHITNEY CANADA was selected by AVIC Xi'an Aircraft Company to supply PW150C for newly launched MA700 turboprop.
ALCOA has 10-year, $1.1b Pratt & Whitney contract to supply various engine components for PurePower PW1000G, V2500, GP7000 and several other regional jet and military engines; deal includes aluminum fan blade forgings for PurePower engines using an advanced aluminum alloy and a proprietary manufacturing process.
GKN AEROSPACE has Bombardier contract to supply composite integrated rudder and elevator for Global 7000/8000 out of Isle of Wight, UK.
KELLSTROM MATERIALS named Oscar E. Torres as President and Chief Operating Officer.
- 6/27/2014 - HONDA AIRCRAFT made first flight of the first production HondaJet; entry into service is expected in 2015.
- 6/10/2014 - B/E AEROSPACE announced plan to split into two independent publicly held companies focused on aircraft cabin equipment and distribution/logistics/technical services respectively. More
- 6/2/2014 - B/E AEROSPACE agreed to acquire both US-based EMTEQ (lighting/cabin management and power systems) and FISCHER + ENTWICKLUNGEN, Germany (civil helicopter/business jet seats and airliner crew seats) for combined cost of about $470m.
- 5/27/2014 - TRIUMPH GROUP agreed to acquire the hydraulic actuation business of GE AVIATION for $70m.
- 5/21/2014 - WARBURG PINCUS agreed to acquire US-based WENCOR GROUP (aftermarket parts/PMAs) from Odyssey Investment Partners.
- 5/20/2014 - COBHAM agreed to acquire US-based AEROFLEX (microelectronics/test and measurement equipment) for $1.46b.
- 5/19/2014 - From EBACE:
DASSAULT launched the 8-pax Falcon 8X with range of about 6,450 nm for 2016.
GULFSTREAM introduced the G650ER with 7,500 nm range, up about 500 nm vs G650.
- 5/12/2014 - BOMBARDIER began assembly of major structures for Global 7000/8000 program.
- 5/2/2014 - GAMA reports manufacturers delivered 500 general aviation aircraft (221 pistons/125 turboprops/154 jets) worth $5.12b in 1Q14 vs 447 (182 pistons/136 turboprops/129 jets) worth $4.7b in 1Q13.
- 5/1/2014 - BOMBARDIER AEROSPACE earned $93m on $2.1b revenues in 1Q14 vs $101m on $2.3b in 1Q13, and delivered 56 aircraft (43 business jets/13 commercial aircraft) vs 53 (39 business jets/13 commercial/one amphibian).
- 4/15/2014 - EMBRAER delivered 34 aircraft (14 E-Jets/20 Executive Jets) in 1Q14 vs 29 (17 E-Jets/12 Executive Jets) in 1Q13.
- 4/12/2014 - PCX AEROSTRUCTURES was acquired from SPX Corp by RFE INVESTMENT PARTNERS and 24/6 CAPITAL PARTNERS. PCX produces complex parts made from hard alloys out of facilities in Newington, CT; Ronkonkoma, NY; and Farmingdale, NY.
- 4/9/2014 - BOMBARDIER AEROSPACE made first flight of the Learjet 85 out of Wichita.
- 4/2/2014 - BOEING launched the BBJ MAX with an order from an undisclosed customer.