SpeedNews has been the source for easy-to-read news and information for executives in the commercial, business, and military aviation industries since 1979. Here you will find the latest industry news along with information on SpeedNews newsletters and aviation industry events.
- 8/5/2019 - AIRBUS began manufacturing the A220 in US at Mobile, AL.
- 8/1/2019 - BOMBARDIER revised its aircraft delivery guidance for 2019 from 180-185 (30 commercial/150-155 business) to 175-180 total aircraft.
- 7/31/2019 - CVC FUND VII agreed to acquire Southern California-based ONTIC from BBA Aviation for $1.4b.
- 7/30/2019 - EMBRAER delivered 51 aircraft (26 E-Jets and 25 Executive Jets) in 2Q19 vs 48 (28/20) in 2Q18, and 73 (22 E-Jets/51 Executive Jets) in 1H19 vs 73 (42/31) in 1H18. It has $16.9b backlog.
- 7/25/2019 - US SENATE confirmed Steve Dickson as Administrator of the FAA.
- 7/24/2019 - BOEING says, due to the uncertainty of the timing and conditions surrounding return to service of the 737 MAX fleet, new guidance will be issued at a future date. It originally planned to deliver 895-905 aircraft in 2019 (vs 806 in 2018), but had only delivered 239 in 1H19, including 57 737 MAXs.
- 7/23/2019 - MTU MAINTENANCE secured exclusive V2500 maintenance contract with JetBlue.
- 7/22/2019 - AMERICAN and QANTAS received final approval from US DOT for their trans-Pacific joint venture.
- 7/19/2019 - BOEING is recording after-tax charge of $4.9b in 2Q19 in connection with an estimate of potential concessions and other considerations to customers for disruptions related to the 737 MAX grounding and delivery delays; charge will result in $5.6b reduction of revenue and pre-tax earnings.
- 7/17/2019 - UNITED AIRLINES signed agreement to purchase 19 used 737-700s for delivery starting in December.
- 7/16/2019 - BOEING made first flight of first (64175) of nine P-8As for ROYAL AIR FORCE.
- 7/12/2019 - AIR CHINA announced order for 20 more A350-900s for 2020-2022 to join 10 in fleet.
- 7/11/2019 - AMERICAN AIRLINES reports it was forced to cancel about 7,800 flights in 2Q19 due to unavailability of 737 MAX, negatively impacting pre-tax income by approximately $185m.
- 7/10/2019 - AIRBUS delivered 76 aircraft (six A220s; 10 A320ceos; 44 A320neos; five A330neos; 10 A350s; and one A380) in June 2019 vs 80 aircraft in June 2018; and 389 aircraft in 1H19 vs 303 in 1H18.
BOEING delivered 37 aircraft (seven 737NGs; four 767s; 747-8F; six 777s; and 19 787s) in June 2019 vs 82 aircraft in June 2018; and 239 aircraft in 1H19 vs 378 in 1H18.
- 7/9/2019 - FLYADEAL is assuming firm orders for 30 A320neo Family aircraft, plus 20 options, from Saudia as part of its commitment for 100, apparently reversing earlier plan to order up to 50 737 MAXs.
- 7/8/2019 - AERCAP completed 82 aircraft transactions in 2Q19 vs 90 in 2Q18; and now has owned/managed/committed fleet of 1,373 aircraft vs 1,471 a year ago.
AVOLON completed 77 aircraft transactions in 2Q19 vs 96 in 2Q18, and now has owned/managed/committed fleet of 923 aircraft vs 890 a year ago.
- 7/4/2019 - BOEING has announced it is providing $100m in funds to address family and community needs of those affected by the 737 MAX accidents of Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.
- 7/1/2019 - GULFSTREAM AEROSPACE received both type and production certificates from FAA for G600.
- 7/1/2019 - HARRIS and L3 TECHNOLOGIES completed previously announced all-stock merger to form Melbourne, FL-based L3HARRIS TECHNOLOGIES.
- 6/26/2019 - AERSALE acquired US-based QWEST AIR PARTS (aircraft disassembly; USM).
- 6/25/2019 - MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES agreed to acquire Bombardier's CRJ program, including maintenance, support, refurbishment, marketing, and sales activities, for US$550m. BOMBARDIER will continue to build remaining backlog on behalf of MHI until orderbook is erased in 2H20.
- 6/24/2019 - AIRBUS delivered initial major component assemblies (aft fuselage and cockpit) for first A220 to be assembled at its US manufacturing facility in Mobile, AL; first aircraft delivery is planned in 2020.
- 6/20/2019 - AIRBUS announced it secured order commitments for 363 commercial aircraft at Paris Air Show; plus, another 352 existing orders were converted to larger models, including the new A321XLR.
GE AVIATION, and CFM INTL, announced it secured record $55b in new business at Paris.
AMERICAN AIRLINES committed to acquire 50 A321XLRs and Saudi Arabia's FLYNAS signed an MOU for 10, increasing Airbus' A321XLR launch commitments to 226 aircraft from 11 customers.
NORDIC AVIATION CAPITAL signed MOU to order 20 A220s.
KLM CITYHOPPER agreed to order 15 E195-E2s and option 20.
DELTA AIR LINES acquired 4.3% of HANJIN-KAL, the largest shareholder of KOREAN AIR.
- 6/19/2019 - IAG agreed to order 200 737 MAXs for 2023-2027 for LEVEL, VUELING, and BRITISH AIRWAYS.
NAC signed LOI to order 35 ATR -600s and take options/purchase rights for another 70.
DELTA AIR LINES ordered five more A220-100s and has now ordered 95 A220s. It also selected new increased MTOW option to increase range for its entire fleet of A220-100s and A220-300s.
EMBRAER announced orders from BINTER for two E195-E2s and FUJI DREAM for two E175s.
INDIGO PARTNERS agreed to order 50 A321XLRs for operation by WIZZ AIR (20), FRONTIER AIRLINES (18) and JETSMART (12); 18 are converted from existing A320neo orders.
QANTAS ordered 36 A321XLRs; 26 are converted from existing A320neo orders.
CHINA AIRLINES plans to acquire 25 A321neos via order (11) and lease (14).
ATR announced launch orders for 17 ATR 42-600Ss (STOL) from AIR TAHITI (2), ELIX AVIATION CAPITAL (10) and an unidentified customer (5); aircraft can operate from 800-meter runway.
- 6/18/2019 - BOEING forecasts demand for 44,040 commercial jets worth $6,800b over next 20 years to increase global fleet to 50,660 aircraft by 2038. It also projects $9,100b commercial aviation services market.
SAUDI ARABIAN AIRLINES ordered another 30 A320neo Family aircraft, including 15 A321XLRs, and has now ordered 65 and optioned 35 to increase potential fleet to 100.
KOREAN AIR plans to order 20 787s from Boeing and lease 10 787s from ALC.
MIDDLE EAST AIRLINES converted four of its 11 A321neos on order to GTF-powered A321XLRs.
CEBU PACIFIC agreed to order 16 A330neos, 10 A321CLRs and five A320neos.
- 6/17/2019 - AIRBUS launched the A321XLR with new permanent Rear Centre Tank (RCT), modified landing gear and optimized wing trailing-edge flap configuration to increase range to 4,700 nm.
AIR LEASE CORPORATION signed LOI to order 50 A220-300s, 23 more A321neos and (as launch customer) 27 new A321XLRs, increasing its Airbus orderbook to 387 total aircraft.
VIRGIN ATLANTIC agreed to order 14 A330-900s for delivery starting in 2021.
UNITED AIRLINES ordered 20 E175s, and optioned another 19, for delivery from 2Q20.
- 6/14/2019 - SOUTHWEST AIRLINES further extended 737 MAX cancellations through September 2.
- 6/13/2019 - MITUSBISHI AIRCRAFT introduced its SpaceJet aircraft family that includes the SpaceJet M90 (formerly MRJ90) and new SpaceJet M100.
- 6/12/2019 - BOEING delivered 30 aircraft (eight 737NGs; six 767s; five 777s; 11 787s) in May vs 68 (28 737NGs; 19 737 MAXs; two 767Fs; six 777s; 13 787s) in May 2018.
- 6/11/2019 - LOAR GROUP acquired So California-based HYDRA-ELECTRIC COMPANY (switches/sensors).