SpeedNews has been the source for easy-to-read news and information for executives in the commercial, business, and military aviation industries since 1979. Here you will find the latest industry news along with information on SpeedNews newsletters and aviation industry events.
- 7/9/2019 - FLYADEAL is assuming firm orders for 30 A320neo Family aircraft, plus 20 options, from Saudia as part of its commitment for 100, apparently reversing earlier plan to order up to 50 737 MAXs.
- 7/8/2019 - AERCAP completed 82 aircraft transactions in 2Q19 vs 90 in 2Q18; and now has owned/managed/committed fleet of 1,373 aircraft vs 1,471 a year ago.
AVOLON completed 77 aircraft transactions in 2Q19 vs 96 in 2Q18, and now has owned/managed/committed fleet of 923 aircraft vs 890 a year ago.
- 7/4/2019 - BOEING has announced it is providing $100m in funds to address family and community needs of those affected by the 737 MAX accidents of Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.
- 7/1/2019 - GULFSTREAM AEROSPACE received both type and production certificates from FAA for G600.
- 7/1/2019 - HARRIS and L3 TECHNOLOGIES completed previously announced all-stock merger to form Melbourne, FL-based L3HARRIS TECHNOLOGIES.
- 6/26/2019 - AERSALE acquired US-based QWEST AIR PARTS (aircraft disassembly; USM).
- 6/25/2019 - MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES agreed to acquire Bombardier's CRJ program, including maintenance, support, refurbishment, marketing, and sales activities, for US$550m. BOMBARDIER will continue to build remaining backlog on behalf of MHI until orderbook is erased in 2H20.
- 6/24/2019 - AIRBUS delivered initial major component assemblies (aft fuselage and cockpit) for first A220 to be assembled at its US manufacturing facility in Mobile, AL; first aircraft delivery is planned in 2020.
- 6/20/2019 - AIRBUS announced it secured order commitments for 363 commercial aircraft at Paris Air Show; plus, another 352 existing orders were converted to larger models, including the new A321XLR.
GE AVIATION, and CFM INTL, announced it secured record $55b in new business at Paris.
AMERICAN AIRLINES committed to acquire 50 A321XLRs and Saudi Arabia's FLYNAS signed an MOU for 10, increasing Airbus' A321XLR launch commitments to 226 aircraft from 11 customers.
NORDIC AVIATION CAPITAL signed MOU to order 20 A220s.
KLM CITYHOPPER agreed to order 15 E195-E2s and option 20.
DELTA AIR LINES acquired 4.3% of HANJIN-KAL, the largest shareholder of KOREAN AIR.
- 6/19/2019 - IAG agreed to order 200 737 MAXs for 2023-2027 for LEVEL, VUELING, and BRITISH AIRWAYS.
NAC signed LOI to order 35 ATR -600s and take options/purchase rights for another 70.
DELTA AIR LINES ordered five more A220-100s and has now ordered 95 A220s. It also selected new increased MTOW option to increase range for its entire fleet of A220-100s and A220-300s.
EMBRAER announced orders from BINTER for two E195-E2s and FUJI DREAM for two E175s.
INDIGO PARTNERS agreed to order 50 A321XLRs for operation by WIZZ AIR (20), FRONTIER AIRLINES (18) and JETSMART (12); 18 are converted from existing A320neo orders.
QANTAS ordered 36 A321XLRs; 26 are converted from existing A320neo orders.
CHINA AIRLINES plans to acquire 25 A321neos via order (11) and lease (14).
ATR announced launch orders for 17 ATR 42-600Ss (STOL) from AIR TAHITI (2), ELIX AVIATION CAPITAL (10) and an unidentified customer (5); aircraft can operate from 800-meter runway.
- 6/18/2019 - BOEING forecasts demand for 44,040 commercial jets worth $6,800b over next 20 years to increase global fleet to 50,660 aircraft by 2038. It also projects $9,100b commercial aviation services market.
SAUDI ARABIAN AIRLINES ordered another 30 A320neo Family aircraft, including 15 A321XLRs, and has now ordered 65 and optioned 35 to increase potential fleet to 100.
KOREAN AIR plans to order 20 787s from Boeing and lease 10 787s from ALC.
MIDDLE EAST AIRLINES converted four of its 11 A321neos on order to GTF-powered A321XLRs.
CEBU PACIFIC agreed to order 16 A330neos, 10 A321CLRs and five A320neos.
- 6/17/2019 - AIRBUS launched the A321XLR with new permanent Rear Centre Tank (RCT), modified landing gear and optimized wing trailing-edge flap configuration to increase range to 4,700 nm.
AIR LEASE CORPORATION signed LOI to order 50 A220-300s, 23 more A321neos and (as launch customer) 27 new A321XLRs, increasing its Airbus orderbook to 387 total aircraft.
VIRGIN ATLANTIC agreed to order 14 A330-900s for delivery starting in 2021.
UNITED AIRLINES ordered 20 E175s, and optioned another 19, for delivery from 2Q20.
- 6/14/2019 - SOUTHWEST AIRLINES further extended 737 MAX cancellations through September 2.
- 6/13/2019 - MITUSBISHI AIRCRAFT introduced its SpaceJet aircraft family that includes the SpaceJet M90 (formerly MRJ90) and new SpaceJet M100.
- 6/12/2019 - BOEING delivered 30 aircraft (eight 737NGs; six 767s; five 777s; 11 787s) in May vs 68 (28 737NGs; 19 737 MAXs; two 767Fs; six 777s; 13 787s) in May 2018.
- 6/11/2019 - LOAR GROUP acquired So California-based HYDRA-ELECTRIC COMPANY (switches/sensors).
- 6/10/2019 - RAYTHEON and the aerospace businesses of UNITED TECHNOLOGIES agreed to combine in all-stock merger of equals to form single company named RAYTHEON TECHNOLOGIES.
- 6/7/2019 - AIRBUS delivered 81 aircraft (four A220s; 57 A320 Family; two A330ceos; three A330neos; 13 A350s; two A380s) in May 2019 vs 51 in May 2018.
- 6/5/2019 - CFM INTERNATIONAL announced CFM56 fleet surpassed 1b flight hours.
- 6/3/2019 - DE HAVILLAND AIRCRAFT OF CANADA (formerly Longview Aircraft Company of Canada) completed acquisition of Q Series aircraft program from Bombardier for C$300m.
- 5/31/2019 - C SERIES AIRCRAFT LIMITED PARTNERSHIP (CSALP) confirmed it is officially changing its name to AIRBUS CANADA on June 1; it is adopting the Airbus logo as its single visual identity.
- 5/30/2019 - GOGO is planning to build a 5G network for business and commercial aviation starting 2021.
- 5/29/2019 - SAS divested its 37.5% stake in AIR GREENLAND to Govt of Greenland.
- 5/27/2019 - AIR NEW ZEALAND ordered eight 787-10s for delivery starting in 2022, and optioned 12.
- 5/24/2019 - DELTA AIR LINES took delivery of its first A330-900; it has ordered 35.
- 5/22/2019 - AIRBUS and SAS signed MOU to jointly research eco-system and infrastructure requirements for a large-scale introduction of hybrid-electric aircraft into commercial airline use.
- 5/21/2019 - AIRBUS delivered its 12,000th aircraft, an A220-100 to DELTA.
- 5/20/2019 - ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS took delivery of its second of three A380s.
- 5/17/2019 - BOEING announced it has completed development of the updated software for the 737 MAX.
- 5/16/2019 - BOEING delivered 23 airliners (nine 737NGs; one 747-8F; one 777; 12 787s) in April vs 44 (24 737NGs; 10 737 MAXs; one 767; one 777; eight 787s) in April 2018.